Friday, April 8, 2011

Everybody's workin for the weekend

This week has been amazing with so much music to enjoy in Charleston!

Monday we said our goodbyes to Phil Riley with a show at the Woodchuck house. Black Girls and Iron Tigers played with him. I loved Phil's set. Since it was such an intimate setting everyone was singing along and providing all the interaction he needed. I don't know if he got home but I think we helped him get some money to head there and that was the point.

On Wednesday, Iron Tigers played with Poison Control Center and Brass Bed at Friends. If you missed that show, you seriously missed out. Poison Control Center seriously had more energy than I have seen a band have since I used to frequent pop punk shows. There were splits, shoulder sits, almost headstands and lots of jumping. I was thoroughly impressed especially considering they had played 194 in the last 7 months. Brass Bed were just as great as they were last time.  We're really grateful they stopped in our tiny town on their tour. Thanks to all of you. Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

Yesterday, I went to the Iron Tigers show in Champaign. Thanks to everyone who came out to support them. I know it means a lot when local bands are trying to branch out even if it is to Champaign. Later on a friend is going to be writing a review of the Chicago Farmer show that I sadly missed. I really wanted to come after the Iron Tigers show but ended up falling asleep on the way home. I'm sure it was amazing though. I've seen him before and loved it.

This weekend is bringing good times as well. Today Friends & Co will be hosting another great show in the front bar. Black Girls will be playing at Friend with The Uglies. Black Girls is just starting up here. Come show them your support and support the local scene tonight. Show will be starting at 10pm.

There will also be a house party on 6th St. From what I hear, it's a brick house on 6th about a block north of the Paper Cafe. It should be pretty obvious where you are heading. The Hearsay will be playing there later on in the night. The party is said to start at 9pm. Apparently there is a keg that's $5 a cup BUT if you ride your bike it will be $3 and there is a group bike ride to follow. That should be a fun ride. Here's a link of the Hearsay if you want to take a listen: http://www.reverbnation.com/thehearsay

Tomorrow Old Shoe will be playing at Mac's Uptowner starting at 9pm. Old Shoe is describes themselves as Americana and many of their reviews say they are eccentrically folky. I'm not sure if there is a cover or what it is but below is a video of Old Shoe. It looks like they have been on the road with Summer Camp. Check it out. Make sure you check them out!

Have a great weekend Chucktown

No comments:

Post a Comment